|Twinkle Bus Furano Itinerary - taken from JR Hokkaido website|
Attractions in Furano are actually quite scattered and transportation network (buses) is not well-established due to the small local population in this humble town.
Attractions such as recycled houses featured in TV drama serial, Kita no Kuni Kura (from the Northern Country), Furano Jam Garden and Anpanman shop are all located 20 km away in the rural district of Rokugo (麓乡).
Rokugo is quite inaccessible by public transport, with infrequent local buses ferry passengers between Furano JR Station and Rokugo. For those who do not plan to self-drive, I will recommend this day tour package offered by JR if you want to venture further to these attractions.
Twinkle Bus Furano only operates during the summer period, from Jun to Aug.
Tickets can be purchased from ticket counter in JR train stations or Twinkle Plaza.
- Departs from Furano JR Station at 1150 hrs.
- Returns to Furano JR Station at 1600 hrs.
- Fee = 1000 yen
(1) Jun and Yui's Recycled House (20 mins stopover), additional 300 yen entrance fee.
(2) Rokugo Observatory (20 mins stopover)
(3) Furano Jam Garden and Anpanman Shop (40 mins stopover)
(4) Furano Cheese Factory (20 mins stopover)
(5) New Furano Prince Hotel, Kaze no Gaden (Windy Garden) and Ninguru Terrace (1 hour stopover)
During summer period, JR introduces several sightseeing bus routes in Furano and Biei at pretty affordable rates. Perks such as discount vouchers/free gifts for respective attractions are also issued to passengers. Do note that throughout the bus journey, the tour guide only speaks/introduces the attractions in Japanese. Alternatively, you can refer to English/Mandarin written brochures/cards placed in the buses for a more detailed description of respective attraction.
JR Hokkaido website: http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/
Furano & Biei Twinkle buses (2012 edition):